Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Movie Review #28: Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles (2001)


 

The Golden Raspberry Awards have been around for 40 years now. Starting in 1981 sometime in March. They pick the worst movies of the past year. Sometimes they are right about their picks and sometimes you wonder how the fuck did they pick that movie. The Shining is a movie I've uh, never actually seen, but it's still amazing that it was on the list for 1980. Thanks to someone's hard work on letterboxd I can now pick and watch every movie that was ever even nominated for a Razzie. I'm already at like 340 movies watched. I'm cool like that. Anyway one of the movies they nominated in the category Worst Sequel or Remake was Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles one of the many movies you forgot even existed. It lost out to Planet of the Apes. 

So let's talk about Crocodile Dundee and Paul Hogan for a bit. I'm pretty sure I rented the first and second movies around the time this movie came out. I liked the first one quite a bit. A likable  "Culture Clash" comedy film. The second movie I remember thinking was passable but mostly because of Paul Hogan's likability. My favorite of his movies was Almost an Angel. I don't remember a single thing about Lighting Jack except that I've seen it. I've never seen Flipper but you know I probably will end up seeing it before I see The Shining.

First off, this movie looks really damn cheap. Like seriously Direct to Video in 2001 cheap. Yet it was made for theaters. It's really weird. The other problem is that this movie is not really all that funny. You can make a comedy sequel but the "culture clash" comedy sequel doesn't really work very well because you'd think the character would have smartened up. I mean yeah they move the wild antics from New York to Los Angeles, but they don't really seem to do a lot of L.A. based humor that would confuse a dude that hangs out in the Outback. This movie finds Mick Dundee going back to America and finds out some kind of movie studio is really planning to steal some paintings or some shit. Yeah it't not really an exciting plot but Comedy films really don't need exciting plots they just need exciting gags and this movie really doesn't have them.

FINAL VERDICT: No I doubt this will be the worst movie of 2001, hell I doubt it will be considered the worst comedy of 2001. It's just an unnecessary sequel that to be fair has a few laughs (so it makes it a better film than Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector or Grandma's Boy but it would still have been a deeply disappointing film to watch in 2001. I'm glad I just went out and rented something better.


2 comments:

  1. I have two fun facts for you.

    Fact #1: This movie was written by someone who became one of the premier fantasy football analysts out there. Works for ESPN and everything. He also wrote season 13 of Married with Children which was horrible. I went to a fantasy football thing with a friend when I was back on the east coast and I got him to sign my season 13 DVD set. He gave me a look and then smirked. He knew he ruined that shit.

    Fact #2: In Crocodile Dundee #2, not that I've seen it, but apparently Croc talks a suicidal dude off a building ledge or something. I went to high school with the guy who played that character's son. Said son was kind of a douche (arrogant). He aspired to be like his dad and get into the movie biz. His house had pictures from the movie and the movie set everywhere - this was this guy's claim to fucking fame - a bit part in a Crocodile Dundee movie. It was even more awkward because his parents were separated and he was back in Hollywood and his soon to be ex wife was living in that house and didn't take the pics down because it upset his son. Last I heard, the son was a camera operator for Court TV or something. That was well over a decade ago so maybe he is a second unit director or something. Hell, I just googled him and he seems to be just bouncing around doing jobs for random networks. Also fun fact, I had a massive crush on a friend's sister in HS and said friend did everything to block me from talking to her (even though I did end up going to the prom with her). While he was successful with blocking me in HS, he wasn't so successful after HS. The guy I'm talking about ended up marrying her - he started talking to her one day when he called up her brother and they hit it off. I couldn't care less that he married her, it was just funny that he did backflips to keep me away from her and whoops, he got caught slippin' and the Crocodile Dundee bit part actor's son nailed her. Speaking of which, I heard after high school, his mom was boning some dude younger than him. UNCOMFORTABLE.

    While this is way too much information, I figured you'd get a kick out of reading something way, way unrelated to Croc Dundee 3. You have to admit for a minute, you forgot you watched this turd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither of those facts were fun. You should have had sex with the Crocodile Dundee Part 2 guys mom.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...