Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The Final Episode #31: Casper the Friendly Ghost (1939 - 1959)

 


Back when I discussed Looney Tunes Final Cartoon Short or Episode or whatever the hell you want to call them. I said I was a fan of most Golden Age of Animation, which ran from like the 1920s to the 1960s. I said I liked watching Huckleberry Hound and Donald Duck and all that jazz. One I don't think I mentioned because they suck shit out of a fucking broken dirty ass straw was Harvey Toons. Yes, I fucking hate Casper the Friendly Ghost and all of his worthless stupid asshole friends.

Casper the Friendly Ghost has a bit of history behind him though. So buckle up Friends and uh...Friends. It's time for me to discuss Fleisher Studios. Started up in 1921 and did stuff like Betty Boop (which every woman ever seems to love.) and Popeye the Sailor Man. Also Superman cartoons later on. In 1941 They were acquired by Paramount Pictures and they told Dave and Max to get lost. Paramount renamed their studio Famous Studios and it lasted until 1967. At Famous they would continue Popeye and Superman and another series started at Fleisher. Famous Studios pretty much did Casper The Friendly Ghost, Baby Huey, Katnip and Herman and Little Lulu (but only for a while as they decided to rip her off for Little Audrey because they didn't want to spend the money to keep doing cartoons with Lulu) I've never actually seen any Little Lulu cartoons but I do dig the comic book and I'm sure I will end up talking about it sooner or later. Sometime after they went out of business Harvey Toons bought Casper and the other junky cartoons. They used them to make a lot of comic books and repackage the old cartoons from Famous Studios. 

Casper and Friends was a complation show that started in 1990 and as late as 2014 was still being shown around places. That's way too long for such boring cartoons. Like even as a child I did not like this show. I don't remember if it took off a show I liked more, or if it was just really boring causing me to turn it off and go do something else like play Yoshi's Island on my Super Nintendo. I'm sure that this show was on Sunday which always seemed like the day YTV decided to show all the junky shit I never really liked. It always seemed that all I had to do was play with my Ninja Turtles or my Nintendo on sunday. We couldn't even go to the Mall because during my childhood everything closed on Sunday for religious rules. It was not fun. Sometimes we'd go to the flea market but still you were stuck at home and if you were annoyed at the game you rented for that week you didn't have much to watch. 

I must now add in that as an adult I hate Casper and all of his stupid asshole friends even more because of jokes that no good hooligans make on discord about me loving him and wanting to kiss him. Yes, Ha ha, very funny. Now please for the love of God end those jokes because the dead horse you beat has become dust. YOU BEAT THE DAMN THING THAT MUCH. All because I said I hated some dumb garbage character that no one cared about.

So the Final Casper Cartoon was called Casper's Birthday Party and was released in 1959. It was one of only 55 (yes that few) Casper cartoons.  It involves Casper talking to characters to invite them to his birthday party and they run away because he's a ghost. Yes. That's it. Oh some of the characters are characters from fairy tales like Humpty Dumpty. Doesn't make the cartoon any better but Casper lives in a weird world. I will be fair and say I did like one gag involving a guy at the zoo feeding a lion getting scared of Casper and jumping in the lions mouth and running away dragging the lion with him. That was amusing, but yeah Casper gets no one to come with him but comes back home to find all kinds of ghosts waiting for him. They sing that stupid Casper song and the cartoon is over.

FINAL VERDICT: I don't know what to say but I just never liked this guy at all. I thought the cartoons were not enjoyable and I would much rather watch just every other cartoon made throughout the Golden Age of Animation. I will say this now that portnoyd once said Little Lulu was a Harvey cartoon and that's something I'm going to have to punch him for. Oh and while I'm at it fuck the comic book ripoffs of Casper too like Homer the Happy Ghost (done by Timely before they were Marvel) and Timmy the Timid Ghost (done by Charlton comics). I wish the Ghostbusters had busted this useless asshole. Fuck Casper.


2 comments:

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...