Saturday, September 18, 2021

Movie Review #40: Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)

 


I decided that for the five re-watches I plan to do for the First Totally Cool and Super Sweet and Also REALLLY TOTALLY SPOOKY Halloween Great FUN Time Super Spectacular, would be the most reviled chapters in 80s horror franchises. The chapters many of the fans dislike and all that. Let's see which ones I stick up for and which ones I agree on. I personally think it will be fun and I feel my blog should have at least one review from every major horror franchise from the 1980s on it. So let's dig in with the 9th chapter from the Friday the 13th series.

I'm not going to keep you in suspense any longer. I fucking love this movie. That's right, I said it people. This movie is fucking wonderful and I refuse to hear any sass-mouth about it. I will talk about all the great things about this movie starting with this. First off I love the characters in this movie. Creighton Duke is not only the second best character in the franchise behind Jason himself but one of the greatest characters in the history of fiction. I must also champion several of the other characters. Several of them get one scene and are STILL more memorable and fun than the heroes of Freddy Vs. Jason OR the remake. The coroner who eats the heart and goes "In my professional opinion this guy is deader than shit!" is great. So are the people who own the burger joint.

Secondly the acting for well the ninth chapter in a franchise is actually amazing. Every character geuninely feels like the character they are playing, even if it's just a bit role. There's a waitress character whos a friend of Jason's niece and she's comes off as a real person. So do the burger joint owners. Two really goofy lookin characters that are a hell of a lot of fun for the few scenes they do have. This movie is also action packed from beginning to end. I mean yeah most the movies in this franchise rarely let up on the action but this one all kinds of great shit is happening. I mean once Jason leaves the body of one guy he starts to MELT. Melting scenes are always fucking cool. If you disagree I want you to leave my blog and eat shit. Fucker.

I won't even deny that the fact Jason is retconned into being some kind of worm creature who can body hop is really stupid. It is. It's fantastically stupid. You know what else was stupid? The ending to Part 8 that turns him into a little boy after getting hit by toxic waste. You know that it's pretty much impossible to make a sequel after that right? Oh you know what ELSE is stupid? Giving a character SUPER POWERS to be able to fight Jason like in the 7th movie. You do realize telekinesis is one of the powers of the X-Men character Jean Grey right? Or how about the fact Jason somehow grew up in the wilderness as a child. That's silly even if you forget the fact that Jason was supposed to be a mongoloid which if you forget is an outdated and probably considered not very nice term for people with mental disabilities. I love and find each Friday the 13th movie (except Freddy Vs Jason and the remake) and enjoy them immensely but if you think about the overall plot (or god forbid the Timeline) of these movies then you'll find that they are all kinda foolish as hell.

FINAL VERDICT: Like the majority of these movies this is a fun thrill ride that you shouldn't spend too much time thinking about. Just watch the fun actors do their thing. I do wish we had a bit more of actual Jason because I love the design he has in this movie but that's pretty much the only thing I don't enjoy about this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...