Saturday, September 18, 2021

1990s horror movies are cool AND good.

 


Alright boils and ghouls! It's time for the very first article for the Totally Cool and Really Spooky Halloween Super Spectacular that will Shock Your Soul. Or whatever the hell I called it in the last post. I'm not going to look at what I called it and just post a different name for this Halloween era of my blog. I want to see how many times I can get it wrong. It will be very amusing and fun. Anyway I've been racking my brain on what to discuss first and I decided why not talk about some 1990s horror.

I think 1990s horror gets a bit of a bad rap. I remember on JoBlo Movie Forums (remember those guys??) and back then it was like you loved 90s horror or you hated it. It was never something everyone could agree on. It actually made for some really fun discussions. I miss those forums and I miss forums in general. Message forums will always be better than social media and none of you hooligans will ever get me to disagree. I'm going to post a few reasons why I like 90s horror.

1.) They were the horror of my childhood. I don't remember what the first horror movie I got to see was. I think it was either Child's Play or Puppet Master. I was way too young to watch them. Anyway I finally was allowed to watch Horror movies in 1995. It was because we had to cut our vacation short because I had an asthma attack and this was the one thing my parents could bribe me with. Holy hell did I go nuts that summer. It was pretty awesome. It was mostly the 80s stuff that I had already heard about over the years. They were great, not going to trash em (I'm sure I will get to an listicle on why 80s horror movies are cool and good despite 12,000 listlces like that already on the internet). It's just something about being on the ground floor for things like Scream or Urban Legend. Stuff that went on to be really big. At least I think those movies are really big.

2.) They had a slick and fun style. I like being able to tell when a movie was put out without having to look it up. Every 90s Horror movie had a slick style. You can easily tell that yes, this was put out in the 1990s. Even the low budget stuff had a style that was slick and clean. It's a nice style. I dunno.

3.) They respected the past while creating something new. I don't understand how some people felt that Kevin Williamson hated 80s slashers and horror flicks because it was clear this dude watched every single horror flick from the 1980s. The man had an eye of respecting the classics but creating something new. The Scream series was a new creative series of films that clearly cared about the old stuff.

4.) They brought back old stuff and breathed new life into them. Halloween H20 was a breath of fresh fucking air after Halloween 5 and 6. Holy shit those two movies fucked Michael Meyers right into the ground and I didn't think you'd ever see him again. Halloween H20 brought him back to the way he was in the original two films. This is one of the best Halloween flicks and yeah Halloween Resurrection wasn't very good (better than most people give it credit for tho) but Halloween H20 was a great thrill ride. It was also neat to see Jamie Lee Curtis come back (you know for the first time). We also got one of the best Child's Play movies in Bride of Chucky. I enjoyed that they just went horror comedy. I mean it was only so long before you could keep Chucky as something that was completely scary. So let's just change it up in a great little flick. 

5.) They had a lot of great ideas. I love Urban Legend. The look of the movie. the characters. The batshit ending. It was all a wonderful horror flick with some tongue in cheek comedy. It was also a unique and fun idea for a slasher film. I'm literally surprised that it took them 20 years from the days of Halloween to the late 90s to come up with this idea. It was a simple concept too, just have people die in the ways of old Urban Legends. It was really fun and the movie still holds up. The sequel was pretty enjoyable too. Sadly the uh 3rd movie was not very good.

6.) They brought in some great new characters. The Leprechaun started in the 1990s. Candyman started in the 1990s. Ghostface was in the 1990s. These are now iconic characters. Okay maybe the Leprechaun is not iconic but damnit I love that little green fucker so much. 

I hope this gets you guys to give some 90s horror movies another shot but I felt that they needed a bit of love and I decided that they will get them from me. 1990s horror movies are cool AND good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...