Thursday, May 20, 2021

The Final Episode #46: The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin (1986 - 1987)


 

Worlds of Wonder was one hell of a toy creator business. They were created in 1985 by two ex-Atari employees. They were the creators of Lazer Tag AND the toy that this show was based around, Teddy Ruxpin. He was a teddy bear that would talk to you via cassettes, and if you are way too young to know what a cassette is then please leave my sight immediately because you are making me feel very old.  You are making me feel like I will turn to dust and explode. Oh and Worlds of Wonder also helped Nintendo out in businesses during its first few years in North America. You wanted Teddy Ruxpin well you had to buy some Nintendos too. Strong arm those small businesses! They made more money than God but thanks to a lot of issues they uh, ended going under. A cop thought a Lazer Tag gun was a real gun (and I assume shot the kid using it because thats what cops do even in 1987.) Nintendo decided they could go it on their own, and Teddy Ruxpin stopped making money. They tried to use junk bonds to help their stock market price but with the 1987 stock market crash kinda fucked them in the end. by 1991 they were gone. 

The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin was created by Ken Forsse (who created the toy too, and the animatronics for Welcome to Pooh Corner a tv show the internet seems to love) and this is where I gotta stick up for 80s cartoons. Everyone goes on and on about how all 80s cartoons had no thought or care put into them and were just random shit made to sell people toys. I don't really believe that. Yeah they were made to sell toys but the people  behind a good number of these shows cared about the product. Everyone goes on about some CRAP GARBAGE like Adventure Time having an ongoing story throughout the show and guess what so did The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin 25 years previous to that dumb show. I don't like Adventure Time. The ongoing story in The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin involved an old city called well The Hard to Find City because it was a city that was hard to find, duh. They created some crystals and well Teddy Ruxpin ends up finding them. Monsters and Villains Organization wants them to TAKE OVER THE WORLD! 

The episode is pretty much a recap of the entire series. With some clips and everything. It has two plots really. It starts up with LB the weird little monster creature who worked with Tweeg one of the villains of the show getting married to Buffy another weird little monster creature. They are apparently called  Bounders. Weird name. When I was a kid they were my favorite part of the show along with Tweeg and they still made me laugh today. A guy who owns an awful hotel asks them if they have any reservations and LB goes no but they have serious doubts. I laughed at that. It doesn't take much for me to laugh at things you should know that by now. M.A.V.O. wants Tweeg to pay his dues and LB comes in for him at the end after knocking him off their copter thing. I guess they missed him despite seemingly wanting ot kill him. Bad guys are weird. Anyway he calls Tweeg Twink in this episode and I wonder if someone on the Teddy Ruxpin staff was gay. I know Filmation was apparently the gayest place in town, but this was made by DiC not Filmation.

The other half of the episode is just Teddy and his friends recalling the story of the crystals and their adventures. They find out that the creators of the crystals called the Kind Ones were actually Illops which is what Teddy is. They then head out to see if they can find any more Illiops and M.A.V.O. ruler Quellor the Supreme Oppressor's (which is clearly the coolest name ever) has stolen one of the crystals back and tells Teddy that he won't have those crystals for long and the show ends up on a cliffhanger. Just like Duckman.

I don't know if I ever saw this episode as a kid but I did watch quite a bit of this show as it was something that YTV showed AND NTV showed. NTV was second only to TBS in showing the best stuff during the early hours of the morning. Like 6 o clock. I mean you'd be tired during school but Sailor Moon was more important! That's because of our friends at Atkinson Film-Arts animated it. It was enough to let them show it for a full decade or more after it ended. It was a fun show and I always wanted a Teddy Ruxpin of my own.

FINAL VERDICT: The amusing B-Plot helps this episode stay above mid level when it comes to rankings of these episodes. It's certainly not the recaping and clip using A-plot or the FUCKING CLIFFHANGER. Damnit son I want to know now what was gonna happen and someone better tell me.  Oh and Les Lyle and Abby Hagyard the adults from You Can't Do That on Television were voice actors for the series. If that isn't cool than I don't know what is. Much better than Adventure Time. This show had BARTH!

7 comments:

  1. Kids these days know what cassettes are because everything is expensive and everything old is now interesting to people with no personalities. 20 years we still cared about that shit but now the Instagram hipsters are here.

    Adventure Time sucks. It's the creation of a soft neckbeard. Basically imagine growing up in the 80s and making a dumb cartoon and then midway making it woke. Dumb.

    Barth's Burgery shaped my sense of humor.

    This cartoon sounds just fine but also weird as fuck. No gay sex at DiC, just lots of acid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so all the gay sex was happening at Filmation??

    Adventure Time was like OMG RANDOM SO WACKY and then tries to be serious half way through apparently. i dunno i didnt dig the two episodes i watched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess? You seem to imply that in your post.

    That sums up Adventure Time. Steven Universe is worse though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well im just saying what ERIKA SHE RA LADY said jerk.

    man Steven Universe sucks too. I don't get peoples attachment to that show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they like it because female empowerment or something. This would get me canceled on the world's dumbest platform but I think it's because it puts "men in their place or something". The lead female characters are all non standard - one is skinny and gawky, one is fat and one is butch. And the two main male characters are an incredibly whiny boy and his useless beach bum father. I think also because it's an allegory for LBTQAZW+ or whatever. At one point, Steven merges with his female best friend and they become non binary. It's basically the woke crowd's banner show. You do what you do Cartoon Network but it feels weird putting that cart ahead of the show being entertaining horse.

    All this aside, two reasons why I didn't like it. The actual story is typical spastic fantasy that is indistinguishable from any others. Basically a fan fiction fever dream. The other is I tried to watch it but the voice actor for Steven is unlistenable. So whiny. Steven also has this problem, which I call the Bojack problem, where the main character will outright spit out the the message or characters issue instead of having faith in the audience to deduce it themselves from the character and situation. It's lazy writing but because it deals with DEEP ISSUES, it's glossed over by the critic and woke crowd as COMPELLING TV. So no thanks.

    But you and I would get canceled for not liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steven's whiny shit voice is why I gave up after 2 episodes. I don't know anything else about the show and you can't really get cancelled just yelled at by annoying weirdos who might just try to find out who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even more reason to post my EDGY SOCIAL COMMENTARY here and my useless blog where no one will ever see it.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...