Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Comic Review #28: DC Festival of Heroes: The Asian Superhero Celebration (2021)

 


I think every person should get to have a superhero that's like them in some way. I know people go "DUR WHAT ABOUT A TRANSGENDER ESKIMO IN A WHEELCHAIR LOL?" and the thing is I'm sure a talented person could make that into an interesting hero.  I dunno said transgender disabled eskimo could turn into two people for some reason and one is very strong and can go around beating ass. I'm just pulling stuff out of my dickhole right now but I don't see why comic books can't try to do this. I'm just saying an interesting character can come from anywhere. I do think these stories and characters should be well made because if you're gonna half ass representation you shouldn't bother. However I think very highly of this little book. It was very neat to see. DC Festival of Heroes: The Asian Superhero Celebration is very well done and neat to see them happen. 

First off before I get into my favorite stories (this thing is big and I don't intend on talking about all the stories right now I might come back for some later. I'm only going to talk about my three favorite stories from the book. I just love this book because I get to yell at someone who will never read this and will never care either. So I watch dumb assholes talking about how diversity and SJW wokeness is ruining comics. I do this because I hate myself sometimes and I can't find anything to put on to listen to. I usually quit very soon into the video and just rewatch some other video I've seen 30 times previously. There's some British chode who calls himself HeelVsBabyface and he was going on about how DC and Marvel "replace" their heroes with black and Asian versions of them (hint: they don't. they create legacy characters which I've always liked the whole concept of Legacy characters honestly. Most people did until the legacy characters started being women or Muslims. If you were to ask me I'd call Barry Allen the first Legacy character because he was made after Jay Garrick the original Flash, and Barry Allen came out in 1956 so they have been doing this thing for a very long time) and he said that they forget about the old black and miniorty characters they created for some reason. he blathered on about the old characters not being woke enough or something and thats when I closed the video and went off to do something else. I do not understand how people who agree with this stuff can literally watch the same video by twenty different boring assholes each day. It's maddening.

Oh the point I was getting to is that several characters in this book are decades old now! What! A culture warrior on youtube LIED to your face?! Holy shit! I thought they were all honest and respectful and not willing to say dumb shit so that they can get superchats from dickheads who don't know why the fuck they are fucking angry. Oh no a superman movie where supermans black OH NO! How about you just don't watch it and move on with your damn life. That is if it even comes the FUCK out. But yes, two of these characters first appeared in 1983. One in 1994 and the other I believe in 1999 or 2000. Wow such disrespect for these old characters. Portnoyd is going to just skip right past commenting on this like usual because he hates Asian people and also when I talk about YouTube idiots.

My favorite story of the bunch was done by Mariko Tamaki and Marcus To. It stars Cassandra Cain one of the like 4 or 5 Batgirls. That's not including the 2 or 3 Batwomen that have existed either. Batman has a huge family for a big weirdo who says he's a loner. Anyway the story involves her trying to learn how to speak which was because her father, I think he was the Batman villain King Snake. I'm not sure because I don't know everything about this character like her scary fans on Twitter do. Do not sass this character on twitter or you will probably end up dead in a ditch. I like how it's a big deal to her to get speech down perfect. She also has to save some teenage nerd who is really smart and the bad guys wanted. It ends with her saying You're Welcome to the kid. It's a very nice and sweet story. I liked it. The art is also incredibly nice too.

My second favorite story involves the Chinese Superman and the Connor Hawke guy teaming up. I again don't know much about either character because the majority of comics I've read are from 30 years ago at least which predates the creation of both characters. I liked how Connor Hawke thought The New Superman was a gloryhog because he left before New Superman tried to get him to come over to get some attention. They fight a robot dragon. That's cool! It also has the New Superman and Connor Hawke eating dinner together at the end. I like a happy ending. I'm a big sappy goof.

The last story I will comment on right now is the first appearance of a character called the Monkey Prince. I'm pretty sure that this character is probably related to the story Journey to the West which also was a big factor in inspiration for Dragon Ball Z however the two stories are completely different. This one starts off with the Monkey Prince shapeshifting into Shazam to mess with Dr. Sivana. Dr. Sivana is apparently taken over by a demon (that later on appears to be a deer. How wild!) who escapes after he is knocked unconscious and the Monkey Prince has to fight the deer demon. I like that I get to type the words deer demon out. Anyway he fights them and the REAL Shazam shows up and the Monkey Prince doesn't actually like superheroes, he feels they are all arrogant. All kinds of amusing stuff happens and the demon is beaten. I liked this story and I will probably pick up the new Monkey Prince series that pops up soon. I like the fact that he's a superhero that feels other superheroes are arrogant. I like the weird ghostly guy that only he can see. I like that his parents are apparently supervillain henchmen due to lack of work AND I like the fact he's friends with Billy Batson without knowing he's Shazam. I will definitely give his series a shot when it's out.

FINAL VERDICT: While I only talked about 3 stories I pretty much liked all of them. Most of them are only a page or so it's kinda hard to get a paragraph out of them without telling you the entire thing and it's always more fun to read them right? The art in every story was really nice and you get a very unique and nice groupings of artists. It's really cool if you ask me. I would recommend this book to you. It's a little pricy but you get like a good amount of pages. I'll be back to talk about scary SJW stuff when they put out DC Pride and Marvel Voices Pride in like June. So stay cool!

5 comments:

  1. I don't care what they make the character as long as it's interesting and fun to read. If they spend half the book on the gimmick/ethnicity, it better be funny or something. I don't give a shit about being woke and being all inclusive and celebrating culture but I'm not going to fault a goddamn person for any of it. It's annoying harping on it because doing that keeps it top of mind. It's like flying in a plane - if you keep harping on the fact you're a mile up and DEATH IS CERTAIN IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, you're not going to enjoy the flight. We just finished watching Falcon and the Winter Soldier. There was a huge, episode eating thing about racism and people not accepted Falcon to be the next Captain America. Like, it's unnecessary drama. Sam Wilson saved the world like six times. I don't care if he's purple colored, he's got the chops. Just shit like that.

    Anyway what's this comic about? You know what, I don't care because it's DC. It stands for Dumb Comics. I'm racist against Dumb Comics. There.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DC stands for Detective Comics and they are cool and good and you are wrong and hate black people, racist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No it actually stands for Dumb Comics. Because you like DC so that by default means they are Dumb Comics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. Also you like Boneclaw wolverine with no nose and 90s x-men by scott lobdell so you like the worst shit. loser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am correct and you are wrong. This is a fact.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...