Saturday, April 24, 2021

The Final Episode #34: Samurai Pizza Cats (1990-1991, 1993, 1996)

 


I'm pretty sure this will be the first time I talk about anything from Japan on this blog. I like those rascals from the land of the rising sun. They gave us Godzilla and Nintendo! That's worth a thousand and one kisses from a sweaty annoying white man (you know, from me). Now this will be the first anime that I will talk about but far from the last. I enjoyed watching several animes as a kid without even realizing they weren't from America. We will get to all of them I'm sure. It's not like I have anything better to do than talk about just about every TV show I can.

Samurai Pizza Cats has a pretty interesting history behind it, honestly. It was created in 1990 in Japan and then those RASCALS Saban Entertainment (you know Power Rangers) brought it to Canada and America. Apparently they didn't get the translations from Japan for whatever reason so they literally just made it all up. They did whatever the hell made them laugh and it entertained a lot of children. Making all kinds of silly jokes. Fourth wall breaking jokes especially. The theme song even makes fun of the popularity of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

So I actually tried to google how long this show lasted on YTV but like every other time I try to google that it doesn't show me. It would be really nice to know that for my dumb blogs. I like to try to get all the information I can to put in these things. Anyway the show started in 1993 (and 1996 in America). I do not know when it ended but I think it lasted a good amount of time. I remember watching this show all the time and I believe it was on for years. I could be wrong because well the smoothest liar of all is memory. Anyway I loved this silly little show as a kid and I still enjoyed watching it again as an adult.

The overall plot of the show is that The Big Cheese and Jerry Atrick (you get it, he's old) want to take over Little Tokyo (as far as I know Kurt Russell did not voice any character in this show which is a great tragedy). They come up with all kinds of schemes and scams with the help of Bad Bird and the Ninja Crows. They are usually stopped by the Samurai Pizza Cats. They call the Big Cheese the Big Cheese because I guess they thought he was a rat when he's clearly a fox in the original show. I dunno. He also sounds like Paul Lynde and I DO know why they did that. It's a fun voice to use and people enjoy it. At least I do.

The Final Episode is yet another two parter! And it's pretty wild! A comet is coming towards earth and I guess by the narration this comet means that if you see it with someone else you will marry that someone else. They pretty much mention that for some jokes. It kinda goes out of the window after that. Also the Big Cheese is finally being found out by the Princess of Little Tokyo (shes a rabbit. the Japanese fucking love rabbits) he used all the funds he stole as Prime Minister of Japan (do they have them in Japan. I don't know anything about Japanese politics) so he decides to pull out his biggest plan yet. To use the comet to get to become emperor. He creates this big old machine to pull the comet out of its trajectory and crash into Little Tokyo.

Of course the Samurai Pizza Cats (three words that will never get old typed together) end up at his base fighting the Ninja Crows and some big time Ninja Crows that I don't remember but I can't wait to rewatch this show. They all end up fighting each other but Speedy (the head Samurai Pizza Cat) gets put ahead of the Crows and the other two stay back and fight them. Speedy tries to stop the machine but has to fight Bad Bird. They make him remember that they used to be friends in my favorite joke in the episodes. It works and he becomes Good Bird. He ends up getting caught under some rocks. 

The Comet can't be stopped at this point and actually destroys Little Tokyo for the most part. So Speedy gets into the Catatonic (a giant cat robot) and goes up to destroy the Comet. It turns out that Good Bird is safe after all and they work together to destroy the comet and save the rest of Little Tokyo. Polly Ester (yes thats her name) finally reveals to Speedy that she loves him and everyone is happy. The episode has Good Bird and Speedy still arguing with each other while trying to deliver pizzas and The Big Cheese and Jerry Atric being sent to Prisoner Island where everyone the Princess doesn't like ends up.

FINAL VERDICT: I had a lot of fun revisiting this show. It's still very charming and entertaining to watch. I don't know what else to say. I wish we had gotten a release of the Famicom game over here in America. Also I watched VHS rips of this show which makes me miss VHS quality. Something so charming about that stuff. It's just pure sweet nostalgia. Anyway I hope you all have a good time and remember to love one another.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be curious to see what the actual plot of this episode is, in the original Japanese. Saban is a bunch of wackos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the original version is just as wacky and comedic. this was totally never supposed to be a serious piece of japanimation.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...