Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Final Episode #21: A Different World (1987 - 1993)

 


Well, this is the first spinoff that I've talked about on this blog period. Spinoffs are a very varied bunch some do not last even more than a season or two (like Joey the awful Friends spinoff) but there have been several very good and well liked spinoffs. It's not a bad idea inherently to try to make a spinoff really. It's a decent starting off point to bring one character to a new show where they will bring fresh new ideas and such. A Different World also had the star of the original series it spun off from leave in season 2, yet it lasted 6 seasons.

I think you can tell that I'm uh.. trying to put off naming the original show but I knew I would have to talk about this because I run a nostalgia blog that also has comic reviews and random rants but it's mostly about the doofy shit I loved throughout my life because that just makes me feel good. The show A Different World spun off from was The Cosby Show. Yes, It's finally time I talk about Bill Cosby and his heinous crimes. Bill Cosby if you were born from anywhere between the 1950s when he first started as a stand up and the 1990s when his career kinda ended with Cosby his third sitcom is someone you'd know. He was incredibly famous. INSANELY famous. Apparently he even helped fund things for Martin Luther King. He put on a persona of a fun likeable scamp that we all were pretty much fooled by (Except I guess people who worked with him)

Bill Cosby had been accused several times in the early 2000s of drugging and sexually assaulting someone but seemed to get off from it from the longest time. It wasn't until around 2015 or 2016 where it was brought up again by comedian Hannibal Buress. This well caused a BIG STIR. More and more women would come out about him doing this going back decades. It seemed that Bill Cosby was more than just America's Goofy Dad, he was also a fucking serial rapist shithead. He's now in prison for these crimes and won't be seen as the Goofy guy he was on his sitcoms but for being a criminal of the worst kind. He's one of the few people that have been "canceled" and one who clearly deserved it and I don't think anyone will argue about that fact. This isn't like Pepe Le Pew or some old Dr. Seuss books where I'll actually have a discussion with you about, this is someone whos a damn criminal and can get fucked.

I also believe in separation of the art and the artist. I'm a all or everything kinda guy and if I started with criminals who created things, I'd end up with guys who were just jerks to other people and I'd end up with about 4 things to watch and 3 of them would be documentaries on Yaks. Not to disparage Yaks or anything. I also don't think it's fair to everyone else who worked on things with shitty people to completely throw the thing under the bus. With that said I do understand anyone who can't watch something created by awful people. I also have to mention why Lisa Bonet was forced off this show after the first season, she got pregnant and Bill Cosby thought viewers wouldn't believe her character getting pregnant. I think it would have been a really interesting way to bring the spinoff that just me. 

So yeah, some heavy shit to discuss first before even getting into the show. I also must say that I don't think I even knew it was a Spinoff of the Cosby Show when I would watch episodes of this on TBS (I would like to know when these shows came on just to add them to this. It would be interesting.) I don't believe I watched any of this first run but I remember watching a bit of this show on TBS. I really liked Dwayne Wayne, he was a fun fella. This show took place around a black college known as Hillman and the stories were about the students and faculty within the college.

The Final Episode of A Different World was put out on May 8, 1993 and was called ""When One Door Closes..."". (This episode was actually aired out of order and was meant to be the final episode. I'm still reviewing it as the final episode so eat me portnoyd) It was about well Whitley and Dwayne who were finally married and with a child on the way. Apparently in an earlier episode Dwayne got a job in Japan, which is where they are moving. He apparently stole one of the ideas that got him the job from his friend Ron, who is furious about it. He has a fight with his girlfriend Cree Summer (yes THAT Cree Summer, voice actress from Inspector Gadget and Tiny Toon Adventures.

I enjoyed this last episode. It was pretty funny and it was neat to see Cree Summer in this show. I felt the scenes were well acted and made you feel good. Yeah it was messed up for Dwayne to steal the idea but you know it's a sitcom, everyone's gonna get back together at the end, but it just feels good because the acting by everyone is stellar. I also didn't remember that Jada Pinkett (before she married that rascal Willard Smith) was in this show. What a ride!

FINAL VERDICT: I enjoyed this episode and I can't wait to dig in to A Different World further, and maybe even talk about it again if possible!

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand people who won't watch something with a disgraced (read: bigger than canceling and actually means something) star in it, especially an ensemble like The Cosby Show. What about Theo? What about Rudy? What about PHYLICIA RASHAD, one of the classiest woman to grace the tube? It's bullshit and respecting someone who does that is only acceptable if you've been literally raped by the Picture Pages guy. Random loudmouth on Twitter can kiss my ass, eat your goddamn pudding pop if you like them. Like, regardless of what you think Michael Jackson did or didn't do, his music was great (I say he didn't, he was just a severely broken person whose father should be jailed for what he did to Michael).

    That was either a terrible final episode, a terrible review or both. I think it's both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good final episode and a pretty mediocre review.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...