Thursday, September 30, 2021

Movie Mini Reviews #2: Severance (2006) & DeepStar Six (1989)


 

It's time again for me to discuss two movies that I feel I cannot get a full review out of but want to talk about anyway. It's time again for Movie Mini Reviews!!! That's right the segment of this blog where I mini review two movies that you should watch! Or sometimes not watch! Anyway, today we will be talking about a british horror comedy and an underwater horror sci fi movie! Let's get to it!



 The 2000s was a weird time for horror films man. Most of the mainstream stuff was not that good (except for Final Destination. I love me some Final Destination.) It was mostly just bland remakes of American movies and bland remakes of Japanese horror films. It picked up near the end of the decade but as a whole probably my least favorite decade for horror films. Anyway I still must admit that some of the more obscure stuff from this decade was pretty terrific. Severance is one such movie. It takes place on a camping trip for some office team-building. They piss off the bus driver and he strands them in the middle of nowhere. They get to a building and believe it's the fancy building they were always meant to go to. It isn't. In fact this building is owned by war criminals who well do not want to be caught and enjoy the act of killing. So it's up to the motley crew of office mates to escape. What happens!? Watch the damn movie you idiot! You'll find out what happens then! I don't want to spoil it. This is a good horror/comedy as the horror scenes are very well done and the comedy is pretty funny. Even if you don't enjoy the ol' British comedy the horror scenes are still done well enough that you can have a great time with this one. Highly Recommended.


Miguel Ferrer was one of the greatest actors who ever lived. He could take the smallest part and make it a ten course meal. He's not even in the movie RoboCop for that long but damned if he isn't one of the things I first think of when I think of that movie. He was even really great in comedy films as the 1993 film classic Hot Shots Part Deux shows us. Any movie starring him is an automatic watch. The best thing is that even without Miguel Ferrer I would recommend this film to everyone anyway because it's a great sci-fi/horror film that takes place underwater. 1989 was the year for underwater horror/sci fi movies because of James Cameron's The Abyss. Every body got in on the game. Sean Cunningham with this movie. Roger Corman with Lords of the Deep. That crazy son of a gun J. Piquer Simon of Pieces and Slugs fame got into the fun with The Rift (I don't remember this movie but I'm going to assume it was fucking bonkers because all Simon movies are bonkers). MGM got in on the fun with Leviathan. The best thing about all of these movies is that they had their own flavor and were all generally pretty enjoyable. I can't say that about the movie The Evil Below because I only recently learned that it existed! Anyway the people in an undersea station doing some government work help a crazy lookin monster to escape and BLAM it starts fucking them up! This movie has some really good acting and you feel for the characters. I felt bad for just about every character. The monster is cool and it's got Miguel Ferrer! Face if if you don't like this movie you are a jerk.

1 comment:

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...