Saturday, July 17, 2021

Comic Review #52: Sonic the Hedgehog #47 - 50 (1996 - 1997)

 


So how do I start this one, well the early 1990s had two consoles that fought it out for dominancy in America. the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo. They were both very popular and many children got into silly fights over which was better. I didn't because I thought both were great. I had a Super Nintendo which I traded for a puppy dog that my mom let run away ONE DAY LATER. I would get another one a few years later thankfully. I would take loan of my uncle's Sega Genesis all the time. It was great. It had Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic and Knuckles on it! I also watched both Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons but if you asked me anything about them today I would just shrug and say I watched them but I sure don't remember shit about them. 

I do however remember Sonic the Hedgehog comic books. They came out in 1993 and were based around the Saturday Morning Sonic cartoon with the freedom fighters and evil robotic overlord Dr. Robotnik (I refuse to call him Eggman because that's a dumb name). These comics would always show up at Sobeys, a chain of Supermarkets in Newfoundland and I think all of Canada. I'm not sure. This isn't a blog about Sobey's damnit. Sobey's would have a rack of comics in the back and several comics in the magazine area. The magazine area comics were like Scooby Doo or Sonic. The ones in the back were like X-Men and that. Those were the first place I'd go to when we'd go there. Unless I was lucky enough to get to go to K-Mart or Allan's Video. Then I'd just put the comic in the cart and hope my mom just bought it. She usually put it back.

I did get two parts of this whole story. I honestly believe it was parts 2 and 3. Parts of 3 I definitely remembered. Since it was a four part story I felt like I had to discuss the ENTIRE thing. It's a fucking doozy though. So buckle up  buckaroos! EndGame (hey just like Marvel!) was a story by Ken Penders. I don't know anything about this guy really except that he sued Archie over Sonic comics. I think because of that Sonic ended  up going to IDW and removing all of those wonderful characters like the Walrus and the robotic Rabbit. Also that Rabbit is who the furries should be lusting over instead of boring ass Lola Bunny. That's right furries I'M CALLING YOU OUT. 

This story starts with the Freedom Fighters trying to take Robotnik down. But with the help of a TRAITOR (a wolf jerk I don't remember at all. I wonder how many Sonic Comics I even read as a kid?) and a robotic Sonic head that he gets a poor cat lady named Hershey to wear and she thinks shes cutting away a rope with Snivley on it. However it's fucking PRINCESS SALLY. the character the furries DO go wild over. The rabbit is also better than her! THATS RIGHT I'M CALLING YOU ALL OUT YOU BASTARDS! Uh anyway Sonic doesn't even realize he's been framed for her death because he was fighting Robotnik (or trying too. the cheap fucker runs away!) and wasn't there to get to the helicopter when they all ran off because Sally was still alive at the time.

Sonic is then arrested and put on trial and sent to the DEVIL'S GULAG. The prison bus sending him there crashes and he escapes. That French Fox and the Bunny find out about the shitty wolf traitor and PUTS THEM IN A PRISON called downunda. I get it. Haha. Good one Kenny! Anyway A skunk man named St. John put a tracking beacon in Sonic's cuffs and they fight in the cave until Sonic pulls a The Fugitive with Harrison Ford jump out of the cliff. I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for. That was a good movie. Sonic then pulls some dirt outta his shoe and RUNS ON THE DIRT before it even falls away. I mean until he runs into the ground. It's a weird scene. He meets up with a Dragon and they escape to Knuckles island and St. John shows up. It's a three way fight! Which seems to end very quickly in issue #50. Kind of a letdown really. 

Sonic then takes down Robotnik's plan of turning everyone in the Freedom Fighers village into a damn robot. Is Dr. Robotnik a robosexual? So he's got this fancy doohickey to do that. What he doesn't know is that his nephew Snivley (you know that small nerdy guy who did everything for him in the cartoon? Yeah that's him) messed with it. So when he and Sonic are fighting he dissappears in a giant black hole (except it's white with pink around the sides) and that's the end of Robotnik. At least for a little while. The Freedom Fighters are all safe and sound. It also turns out that Sally was just in a coma and the Duck Doctor lied that she died. He had too because his family was in danger.

FINAL VERDICT: I had a bit of fun re-reading this but I kinda wish the story was a little longer and we had time to do a bigger fight between those three and that there wasn't a big "oh shit I forgot to mention these things in the story so I need a recap time". anyway, not too bad but I definitely liked it better when I was 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...