Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Comic Review #44: Marvel Voices: Pride #1

 


I would have liked to do a theme month for LBGT people seeing as this is gay pride month but I mean I'm sure I could do it via comic books and stuff but The Final Episode? My Weird b-movie review thing? I'm sure I could find some but enough for a full month of discussions? I dunno. I did try to put in as much information about the LBGTQZFMNLOP community as I could. Which just related too two comics and mentioning that GREAT ACTOR Wesley Eure enjoyed kissing men. Well he's still alive so I'm going to assume he still enjoys kissing men. It's not something you change about yourself.

Anyway Marvel Voices: Pride #1 is I think the 3rd or 4th issue of Marvel Voices. A series that involves letting people of different backgrounds get to write stories. One was Indigenous Voices, a comic I thought was pretty good but I didn't like the last story. I believe there was one involving black characters. There might have been something else but I'm not sure. They are planning on a Asian American Voices issue too. I plan to discuss that one too. I think everybody deserves representation and a story and characters and all that. I don't believe that it should be done poorly though.

This feels a bit different than than the DC one. A bit more character develop-y than action-y. I don't mind when superhero characters just have a story where they interact with each other. It's good to get to know how these characters feel so that I dunno you can get to like them or not. You gotta have character development or the action stories don't work because you don't give a peckered piss about what's happening. I don't know where the term peckered piss came from so I'll talk about a few stories from the book like usual because there are a LOT of them in this book.

I think the first story I will discuss is called Colossus and it's about a character named Prodigy who is one of the 97 hundred million billion thousand trillion X-Men characters that are now somehow all living on an Island together. Like Gilligan's Island. I like Gilligan's Island X-Men. It's a very interesting era for Marvel's merry mutants. Anyway this story is them talking about how they realized they were bisexual and Prodigy tells Speed (they are both boning each other). Speed is another mutant and one of the sons of the Scarlet Witch. Don't look into his backstory because it will cause some brain matter to squeeze out of your ears. I don't say that very much but it really will do that. So Prodigy talks about a crush he had on Colossus, a giant stacked piece of man meat. Still I don't know if that counts because EVERYONE is gay for Colossus. He's a big Russian teddy bear that if you get mad will kick ass. Who wouldn't want to kiss that??? anyway it's a cute and fun little story.

The next story is called Totally Invulnerable and it involves She-Hulk! But there's a twist. It's not actually She-Hulk but a lady that is cosplaying as her! I think heroes from Marvel should meet up with more cosplayers because I think it would make for funny interactions. Cosplay She-Hulk runs afoul of Titania who is angry that She-Hulk won't be a lawyer for her husband Crusher Creel the Absorbing Man. Of course she's the reason he was caught so it would be a conflict of interest. After they almost fight Titania realizes its paint not actual green skin. They then end up in a cafe talking about stuff and Cosplay She-Hulk tells Titania she is trans and likes She-Hulk because she was a strong and powerful woman which gave her confidence to be herself. It's sweet. . I also liked one joke where Titania says THE GENDER PEOPLE after finding out. It made me laugh. It ends with them going to beat the shit out of a Deadpool cosplayer which is clearly the way EVERY STORY SHOULD END THAT WAY.

The Final story I'm going to talk about is called Early Thaw and it tells the story of Iceman. Who is very angry and sad at himself for finding the Angel attractive. It's up to Magneto of all people to calm him down during one of his attempts to blow up Professor Xavier's face. It's actually a pretty sweet little story and I loved how it ended. Iceman just going "Xavier isn't even there". I wonder how many times that happens to supervillains. I'd be so pissed if I let out my cyborg gorillas that eat peoples faces and the person I wanted them to destroy was off somewhere else. 

The rest of the stories are fine but there's not much to talk about them. A lot of them are one or two pages and that's kind of why I liked the DC one better. I mean Marvel has a lot more gay characters it seems and they wanted to include as many as they could but I dunno I liked the more flesh out stories from DC Pride. Still none of the stories from either book is what I would consider bad. Just I can't really talk about most of these stories past one paragraph. It's kind of a shame. 

FINAL VERDICT: I thought the stories for the most part were pretty good but most of them were just too short.  Not a bad comic but I thought the DC Pride did it better. I do not think this was worth 9 bucks even if it was double sized. I think they should put this series in a trade soon. I'd pick that up. I think it's a bit easier to pick up trades of stuff now than actual comics but damnit a comic book still feels the best to hold in your hand. And are fun to collect. I don't know where I'm going with this. This is still a better comic than the one where Northstar comics out which was really bad and I don't like that they reprinted a good chunk of that comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...