Wednesday, April 28, 2021

The Final Episode #37: Digimon Adventure


 

I think everyone when they were a child had some tv show they watched just because it was on. Even during the age of Nintendo and toys and all kinds of fancy things I'm sure there's still time for someone to watch a show they never really cared about at all. For me that show was Digimon. I guess it was tolerable enough to watch while waiting for another show to come on. This must have been in between one show and another because I'm sure I would have gone to play Nintendo. Or maybe I was just waiting for us to go to the mall or go out which we would do on most Saturdays. Honestly It's probably that now that I'm spending any time to think about it. I don't really believe I ever saw a full episode of this show because everyone else would be getting ready to go. All I know is that Digimon was a "aw fine I guess I'll watch this" show. Nothing that got me pumped up but nothing that made me terribly angry. It was just there.

Now for the people who are old geezers (hi portnoyd) that never watched Digimon and barely know what it is besides a different kind of Pokemon. Digimon is an isekai anime, which I think is what they call going into a different world or universe or something and having to live there. Digimon takes place in the Digital World where Digital Monsters (the Digimon) live. A bunch of kids are brought into the Digital World and they have an adventure to save it or something. I didn't watch enough to really know the full plot of this series just that something happens and both the Digital World and the Real World get connected and the kids have to save both worlds.

 Digimon was weird in that at least in my memory the tonal shifts would be insane. I believe in one epiosde some kid was brought back to the real world and was wondering about what was real or anything. Like wasn't even sure about his existence anymore. All I know is that it would go back to his other friends and they were fighting a Monkey Digimon that would pretend to be Elvis. I haven't seen a tonal shift that bad since the 1972 film The Last House on the Left where some teenagers get raped and murdered and their parents get violent revenge. Oh and in between scenes like that they have two wacky cops get into silly shinanagians. That's a good word that I need to use more. I get trying to use humor to ease big discussions but damn man try to that better. I could be misremembering this entire thing because remember Digimon was something I half watched while waiting to go to the Mall.

The Final Episode was titled The Fate of Two Worlds where the Digimon and the kids finally fight the big bad called Apoyolmon and wow he goes out like a punk. It's actually kinda funny how quickly this guy gets his ass kicked by the kids. Then after he's gone they realize that the Digital World is becoming reborn and all the Digimon are coming back. So does that mean the big bad is coming back? Are they gonna have to do this again in 60 years when they are all like 75 or some shit that would be hilarious now that I think about it, sadly it doesn't seem like that was a sequel series to this one. The Kids say goodbye to the Digimon and we get another pretty bland Final Episode that I can't even get two paragraphs out of.

FINAL VERDICT: I never got this show as a child and I get it even less as an adult. Just something about it never clicked with me like it did with Pokemon. I get people love this series but I just thought the creatures were cooler in Pokemon. I think this is enough anime Final Episodes for a little while but I'm sure we will come back to the land of the Rising Sun.

1 comment:

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...