Monday, March 15, 2021

Transparency and CANCEL CULTURE!!!

 


See I picked the Invisible Man there because he's transparent! I'm very funny and clever! Anyway since I have a bug up my ass about dumb shit in the news and I have a blog viewed by tens of people I decided let's talk about how the news discusses things like "Cancel Culture". Won't that be fun. That's not a topic that people get angry about. No sir!

So you know about Mr. Potato Head right? Like you totally realize what went on because you read a headline saying he's cancelled and you can never buy a new one or anything. No numb nuts you don't the entire thing is WOAH kinda blown the fuck out of proportions. Mr Potato Head still exists, but the BRAND is now just called Potato Head. I assume they are going to make a Potato Head character and give it male and female pieces. That's just good capitalism. I thought right wingers were all about capitalism.

Now you're all about to say "THEY CLEARLY BANNED EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY DR. SEUSS THING IN EXISTANCE, WHAT NEXT LIBS WHAT NEXT" No, they didn't ban anything you gosh darn rascal. 6 Dr. Seuss books, one of which I THINK I may have heard off before they were mentioned all over the place. The Mulberry Street one. I do admittedly hope that they keep copies of these archived because they are still pieces of Dr. Seuss and children's book history and even something as obscure as The Cat's Quizzer (seriously you didn't even know this other Cat in the Hat book ever existed did you) should be saved. I also think that if the books were YOU KNOW ACTUALLY POPULAR they could have put a disclaimer at the front of the book saying "Hey yo, this shit was written in 1937 and we had shitty ideas about things back then, talk to mom and dad about this imagery yo" but in well less of an attempted comedic manner, but the thing is they aren't popular and they aren't being produced because of that. There's no recall on these books and I'm sure libraries will have copies if you really need to see them. They are just going out of print, you know what else goes out of print. A fucking whole hell of a lot of books. I wanted to get What-A-Mess books for my nieces but not only are they out of print it seems they never made it out of Britain (yet ABC and DIC had a cartoon which I remember enjoying a lot). I don't see anyone yelling about What A Mess being cancelled.

Remember back when The Muppets were totally cancelled and Jim Henson was pulled out of his grave and thrown into space? I do. It was the saddest day of my life. I will forever miss Kermit but NONE OF THIS HAPPENED. Some stuff had to be cut from the Disney Plus release because WOW Musical licenses Disney does not want to pay because despite having more money than humanly possible they don't want to spend any of it. Oh and one episode featuring some guy no one had ever given a shit about got banned because a Squeaky Clean Company like Disney (I mean they want you to think they are squeaky clean but they aren't...) wouldn't let an episode starring a guy who was later found with sexual imagery of children on his computer. Yeah, that's not getting on Disney Plus no matter how much you wish it was complete.

Now I guess I'll sit here and reiterate my feelings on Cancel Culture (I did a piece on this shit before but don't go looking for it. It's terrible) People like Gina Carano getting fired after Disney telling her to not get into shit on twitter REPEATELY is not Cancel Culture. I'm sure there are literal pear pickers out there who have been fired because they said something that their bosses did not like. That's called having a damn job and keeping your mouth shut. THE ENTIRE DAMN WORLD DOES THIS. 

Now people trying to dig up the history of James Gunn. yeah that's shitty (would it surprise you that the people yelling about cancel culture the most also said this was a good thing?). The people yelling at Kathy Griffin (and I don't want to be the person sticking up for her. She's no good!) for some dumb Donald Trump shit and saying how she shouldn't have a job anymore. Oddly enough ALSO from the people who mostly complain about Cancel Culture.

I guess my main point is you don't have to like any of the stuff these companies did. Think it's a terrible fucking crime for all you want. It's fine, just GET THE ENTIRE PICTURE. GET THE ENTIRE STORY BEFORE BLOWING YOUR ASSHOLE OUT please for the love of God do that so I don't lose my fucking sanity. 


1 comment:

  1. Cancel culture is an extension of Twitter, really. Twitter pretends to give people a voice (no) and cancel culture pretends to give people power over things (also no). Cancel culture is empty flailing by people with no power.

    I don't even want to comment any more on this. It's just dumb and not worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...