Saturday, February 13, 2021

The Final Episode #15: ALF (1986 - 1990)

 


First off before I get into rambling about the last episode of Alf, I tried downloading this image from a website and my computer wouldnt let me. I guess the site was full of viruses or some shit. Anyway I decide to image search said image because really what image is better for this article than Alf after Mr. T gave him all his gold. Only problem is that when it came up google said Michael J Fox Alf. I do not remember Michael J Fox ever wearing gold chains in either Family Ties, the Back to the Future Trilogy or Spin City. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for that, or maybe google is just busted. 

Anyway, Alf  was without a doubt one of THE most popular things of the 1980s. He had his own tv show, a video game, TWO animated tv shows. Hell the animated version even appeared in clearly the greatest crossover ever made, Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue. I'm sorry Marvel Cinematic Universe but you got nothing on Slimer and Bugs Bunny teaming up to stop an evil drug smoke thing voiced by George C. Scott. He even had his own comic book under Marvel Comics Star Comics imprint that ran from 1988 to 1991 for 56 issues, including 4 annuals and 2 specials. Yes, we will discuss one of those comics sooner or later. What I'm saying that between 1986 and 1990 you couldn't get away from the alien from Melmac. Hell even in the late 90s he came back in 1-900-Collect ads. Man I remember too much dumb horse shit.

I'm sure I watched Alf when it was originally on but being only 5 when it ended, my memories of that are vague as hell. No, all my memories of Alf come from the year 2003. No more high school and I could just lounge around the house like a lazy asshole. Thankfully The Family Channel, which was like the Disney Channel offshoot in Canada, because every channel in Canada has to have some Canadian content on it, would end up showing Alf, Boy Meets World, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, and after that I would change the channel to YTV and watch Sailor Moon. I don't know about you but if that isn't the best line up of television ever then you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself. The Family Channel started in 1988 and until I think 1995 or 1996 was pay cable. It must have become basic cable around 1995/1996 because until then you'd only get some free weekends, but damn if I didn't watch the Family Channel and TBS like a mad man during those weekends.

Anyway Alf was a sitcom that ran from September 22, 1986 to March 24th, 1990 on NBC. It was about an Alien Life Form, or ALF for short who crash landed on the Tanner's garage in California, somewhere near Los Angeles. He would get himself and the Tanners into wacky adventures and try to keep himself hidden from other people and the Alien Task Force, who uh wanted to kill him so they could dissect him and not so lovely things. The Final Episode, entitled Consider Me Gone is well another cliffhanger but we will get to that soon enough.

Alf is in the Tanner's garage when he gets a message from two other Melmacians (ALF's race) Skip and Rhonda. Rhonda was Alf's girlfriend at one point if I recall correctly. They have bought a new planet and want Alf to help them set things up. He is then for the first half of the episode conflicted on what will happen. Will he stay with the Tanners or will he go with his fellow Melmacians. Also the built in spell checker needs to stop saying Melmacians is spelt wrong! IT'S A WORD YOU TURDS. 

Alf ends up saying Yes, but his messages between them have been seen by the ALIEN TASK FORCE, led by an actor I'm sure you've seen in like 82,000 things but you just don't care enough about him to look up his actual name. He's a character actor but not one of those fun ones you know? Anyway just before Skip and Rhonda are to beam him up the Alien Task Force shows up and captures him. This cliffhanger would be unresolved for six years until the made for TV movie Project ALF came out. I did see this TV movie in like 1996 but man I do not remember a single solitary thing about it. Except that the Tanners didn't show up but that make sense because the  cast uh, didn't like working on the show. Let's just leave it at that (They deserve acting credit because I was amazed to find that out, I think it was my mother who told me.) I'm sure I will end up rewatching that movie for the blog.

I'm just honestly curious on how it would have worked out for a full season. Like would he spend a few episodes being a zany rascal at the Alien Task Force building? Would he escape back to the Tanners? a new family? Would Skip and Rhonda come back and the show take place on New Melmac? I'm just curious one how it would have worked had the show came back for season 5. 

FINAL VERDICT:  This final episode was pretty good. I laughed several times and I ended up feeling bad for the Tanners and Alf. Also I don't know where else ot put this but going back to how the cast hating working on this show. Max Wright after finishing the last episode just got up and left. No Wrap Party. No Goodbyes. It's just FUCK THIS SHIT I'M OUT. Kinda sad that they didn't enjoy the fame this show brought them. 

1 comment:

  1. It's probably because Michael J Fox is as tall as Alf.

    You need to review the last episode of Boy Meets World. Topanga be banging.

    Sounds like a cliffhanger not cliffhanger episode so in case they don't get canceled, they have a way into a new season?

    I watched a little Alf but not a lot. He's a walking pun machine which is ok I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...