Tuesday, January 12, 2021

TV Review #7: Hangin' With Mr. Cooper (1992 - 1997)


 You know the ABC Friday Night block TGIF right? It was incredibly popular between 1989 and 2000, hell they were so popular they tried it again in 2003 to like 2005 and 2018 to 2019. You know something is popular when they decide to go back and try to ruin it. Anyway there were several sitcoms on the show in that 11 year block. Tons of them are still well regarded by a lot of people today. Like Family Matters or Step By Step or Full House or Boy Meets World. Several shows that only I and some sad other losers remember like Teen Angel and You Wish. Hell I even remember Alien in the Family and that show lasted for two whole weeks on TGIF. What I'm getting too is that I don't remember Hangin' With Mr Cooper at all, just that there was a show with that name.

At first I was actually kinda exicited to watch this show, a show that I don't remember at all despite watching enough TGIF to make a person sick. Like that was my Friday night for the entire 1990s, well except when CBS stole Family Matters and Step by Step for like one season. Hell I remember the CBS Block Party! No one remembers that! There's a reason Hangin' With Mr Cooper is "yeah that was a thing I guess" and not "HOLY SHIT THAT SHOW WAS GREAT I CANT WAIT FOR THIS STREAMING SERVICE TO START SHOWING IT AGAIN" is because Hangin' With Mr.Cooper is not a very good television show. 



The main problem is the cast is not very good but Mark Curry is the biggest problem. The dude just tries way way WAY too hard to be a comedy master when he's well a forgettable comedian. Like you haven't thought about him or this show in decades, be honest. He's not a very good comedian and is a even worse actor. Just the whole trying too hard thing. This whole show tries too hard. Look at the image above this paragraph and you can see it all. LOOK AT US BEING WILD AND FUN with crayons all over the leaves. Wowie!  Trying to hard really ruins comedy. I watched two episodes of this and I laughed once I think. 

Final Verdict: It's very hard to talk about this show because it's both forgettable and trying to hard. I'll remember goofy shit from Family Matters probably forever. This was just not very funny or memorable, but it's also not really bad enough to get angry about. It's one of those many comedy shows that probably lasted 5 seasons because the tv network had forgotten that it was even on there. Oh, and apparently they took over the house from Growing Pains and Alan Thicke came on during the first episode and that's the most memorable thing about the show, taking over the set from a different show. Now that's some sad shit.


2 comments:

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...