Tuesday, January 19, 2021

The Final Episode #9: Bump In the Night (1995)

 


Bump in the Night was a Claymation animation show that lasted for 2 seasons and 26 episodes including a Christmas Special. Specials in my mind do not count as a final episode, just a nice little bonus. So that won't be the episode we are discussing. I guess I had to get that out right now. Anyway, this show ran for 2 seasons on ABC Saturday Mornings before Disney bought them out (which caused the end of just about every ABC Saturday Morning show some of which were pretty popular but we will talk about that later) This show first started out as bumpers before a show would come back on Saturday Morning. And stuff like that. I miss bumpers quite a bit. Those were turned into a whole show in 1994.

Bump In the Night was created by Ken Pontac (who worked on things like Happy Tree Friends, Reboot and Mighty Max. So he's a pretty cool guy in my book!) and David Bleiman (who produced.....The PJs which yes I will end up talking about too becuase I'm that sad) Bump In The Night takes place in a boys bedroom, Mr. Bumpy is the monster under the bed. Squishington is the bathroom monster.... I think thats the first time I've heard of a bathroom monster, there's a doll named Molly Coddle and also some Cute Dolls and stuff like that. Mr. Bumpy is a rapscallion (one of the top 10 words ever) who is always getting himself into trouble. Some of the voice cast included Jim Cummings, Rob Paulsen and E.G. Daily, in other words people who have been a part of every cartoon made since 1987. 

The Final Episode of Bump In the Night appeared on Saturday, December 2nd, 1995 and was entitled Not A Leg to Stand On in which Mr. Bumpy gets in trouble with the Cute Dolls for driving in their car. Molly gets Mr. Bumpy out of this situation and in thanks he wants to get her some new shoes so he sneaks into her room and steals her feet. Yes, for the rest of the episode they have to push her around on a skateboard. This show was wild. He even fought a killer piece of bread in another episode! Anyway Mr. Bumpy has to find the feet and prove that he wasn't stealing them to be a jerk or he'll get the WORST PUNISHMENT OF ALL TIME.. a bubble bath!!! He of course realizes that he wrapped them up because he's kind of a doofus. 

FINAL VERDICT: I had a lot of fun rewatching this video. It had a lot of laughs and the Claymation is still really impressive 25 years later. A very silly but enjoyable show. The voice actors really sell the material. I don't know where else to put this information but Cheech Marin and Gilbert Gottfried did voices for this show and anything good enough for Gilbert and Cheech is good enough for me. 

8 comments:

  1. Is it really a final episode if the show lasts 26 episodes? That's just the show getting canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it's not, you're being dumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a final episode, and this is my blog, so eat shit.

      Delete
  3. No it's not and I should hostile takeover this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it counts. I wanted to talk about this video.
    Have fun talking about SMALL WONDER, Dickface.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will take this blog to new heights with riveting prose about BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED and COCOON in a series called TANDY IS DANDY.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...