Sunday, December 13, 2020

Disney's One Saturday Morning Look Back Part 1 (of who the hell knows)

 


Ahh... One Saturday Morning. These (along with Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z) were the last cartoons I was really into as a kid. (Yes I called Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z cartoons, get over it.) I have a lot of fondness and nostalgia for these shows, even if I was like 17 by the time the block had ended in 2002. To be fair this isn't exactly just a One Saturday Morning thing, I'm also going to talk some shows made after it, and including some newer stuff. Just because the shows interest me and I'd like to watch them. This blog gives me a reason. I remember we'd watch One Saturday Morning for about an hour and a half (like Doug, Pepper Ann and Recess) before we'd usually go out to the Mall. I remember buying NES games around this time too starting up my collection (which is gone now because those games go for too much to keep now) I'm sure I got Adventures of Bayou Billy and Adventures of 3-D World Runner mere hours after watching Pepper Ann. I don't know why I'm mentioning this shit but it's my blog and I can do whatever I want.



This was a cartoon I thought was great as a kid and is still pretty enjoyable these days. It's very wholesome for the most part which is probably from creator Jim Jinkins, you know the Doug guy, and yes I'm sure Portnoyd if he's even reading this will go NO DOUG WAS LAME IM A BIG TURD SNIFFING JERKHOLE. but Doug was good and so was this show. Like all 101 Dalmations material, Cruella De Ville and her henchmen are the best part. Weird how a woman who wants to turn the Dalmatians into a coat is the best part of this show but she's hilarious. Horace and Jasper are voiced by Lenny and Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley! How cool is that?! Recommended.



This might be the best Disney show in the One Saturday Morning set. Period. And not even that it's definitely the funniest one. It's about a bunch of school kids and the adventures they get into at Recess. Literally every character is a gem. My personal favorite is Gus Griswald, but every character, even the adults get in some great jokes and moments. A true masterpiece that will never stop being great. Recommended.



People really seem to love or hate Doug. Like in general, me I thought it was a fine show as a kid. Not one of my favorites but I've seem to come to enjoy it much more as an adult. It's very wholesome and I guess in a world where everyone is yelling and screaming at each other I need that. Disney's Doug was well the sequel to Doug. Most people seem to not like it but I think it's still pretty good honestly. It's definitely wackier and they definitely changed things from the original series (no Honkerburger, Roger being rich, The Beets breaking up) but It's still fun. A little too much reliance on Quailman tho, it was much more fun when those episodes were spaced out.



PEPPER ANN PEPPER ANN MUCH TOO COOL FOR SEVENTH GRADE! PEPPER ANN PEPPER ANN SHE'S ONE IN A MILL-YUN PEPPER ANN PEPPER ANN MUCH TOO COOL FOR SEVENTH GRADE PEPPER ANN PEPPER ANN SHES HER OWN BIGGEST FAN! CATCH HER IF YOU CAN PEPPER ANN!!!!! Yeah, I'm sorry I just had to sing the theme song. Even the worst Disney songs were catchy.  Anyway Pepper Ann was a pretty great little show about a teenage girl and her wild antics. I liked the characters and her friends. It was funny stuff. It even had Don Adams in it. Any show that has Inspector Smart in it is good in my book. It's a shame that this show is kinda lost media as in some episodes are lost and haven't been seen in years. It's also a shame that on the old Jump the Shark website some crazy weirdos were freaking out over Pepper Ann's mom and aunt telling her about feminism. Not even radical feminism or anything. Just women are not trash kinda shit. Very weird. I don't even know why I remember them after seeing 594020429094 people get angry over stuff like that. The internet was a mistake. 


Well wasn't that fun! Well no it wasn't but let's get over that hurdle and talk about some more shows. It seems most of the shows are still pretty good, Disney Afternoon had the better shows but One Saturday Morning had the better ratio of shows being good. If that makes any sense? Of course it doesn't. Nothing I ever say makes sense. Anyway, till next time!

3 comments:

  1. NO DOUG WAS LAME IM A BIG TURD SNIFFING JERKHOLE

    ReplyDelete
  2. But no really, I watched original Doug on Nickelodeon, like the whole run, but looking back, it is just awful. Doug's a weiner, Patty is a blank slate, Skeeter just goes HONK HONK like Walmart Screech and the dog was a poor man's Snoopy. Nothing about it was good.

    I was too old to watch any of the other shows.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...