Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Comic Review #64: Batman & Dracula: Red Rain (1991)


 

Batman might be the hero that works best with horror. I mean he's been a vampire several times (once in actual pre-crisis continuity!) He routinely fights Mad Scientists that create Monster Men, A Killer Crocodile Man, A Killer Clay Man (actually several killer clay men. and also a clay lady), a woman who loves plants and also loves creating Plant Monsters (plant monsters are very underrated and should show up more often in things.) Like I don't even have to tell you there was a comic where Batman Fought Dracula. You already knew it existed because it made perfect sense for it always to exist. Batman and horror works very well.

Batman & Dracula: Red Rain is an Elseworlds story made in 1991. 30 damn years ago. Can you believe that? Wild. Anyway this comic was brought to us by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones who I have already talked about on my blog before. I am a fan of both fellas and I gotta say that this might be their best work together. It is absolutely hog wild crazy. I think that's what I like about Elseworlds, they were willing to go hog wild crazy. What If would sometimes go for nuts but a lot of the time the alternative universes were only a little bit different. Not that I don't enjoy What If. I just like that Elseworlds is willing to go to crazy town. 

Anyway the story involves Gotham having a bunch of homeless people dying, having their throats slit and having being drained of blood. You know it ain't good news when that happens! At the same time Batman as Bruce Wayne is dreaming of a sexy lady we find out is a vampire. She has the power to get into his dreams. She is also going up against DRACULA. I mean it's not that much of a surprise that he's in this story. They really should have called it Red Rain. Still I'm not gonna complain to much. Batman is attacked and is feeling different. He's also showing issues with his back. I was at first like why are they talking about his back but the second time it came up I was like OH SHIT ARE THEY GOING TO GO THERE? And yes, they do. They turn him into a literal BATman. It's amazing. I loved it. He ends up needing to BLOW STATELY WAYNE MANOR THE FUCKING SHIT UP.

Of course Batman fights Dracula and the fight between them is great. I love how Kelley Jones draws Dracula in his Bat form. It's really cool. The story ends with Batman fully a vampire and having to be kept in a coffin. Bruce Wayne is dead. There is only THE BATMAN. I loved that they actually went all the way and made Batman a vampire. Not going OH HE'S A VAMPIRE NOW BUT WE GOT A CURE so we'd get a happy ending. I like when these alternative universe stories just end on a bummer or somewhat of a bummer. Batman honestly feels pretty good seeing as the Vampire lady created a blood substitute so he doesn't have to drink human blood. So there's a little bit of a cop out I guess. They did two sequels to this story and I would like to check them out.

FINAL VERDICT: If you like Batman, alternative universe, Dracula, horror, or vampires you really need to pick this comic up for your collection. It's a very fun and wild story. It's not very hard to find or ever very expensive. I think I paid $15 to get all 3 Batman Vampire Elseworlds. That's not bad seeing as these are big thick comics. At least 60 something pages. It's definitely worth $5 if you come across it. The only problem is that some of the art feels a little rushed and could have been better but 95% of it is pretty great. I like how Kelley Jones gives Batman these giant huge ass bat ears on his cowl. It's a hoot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...