Wednesday, June 23, 2021

The Final Episode #59: Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends


 

So, Spider-Man. We are going back to this well of easy content. Yeah, we are. You got a problem with that buckaroo? If you do then you should be sad because this entire blog is just easy content. I do not work hard for this blog I just like to write my thoughts down on dumb things and people clearly don't enjoy message forums any more and Twitter is a hellsite that should be destroyed. Blogs are all you have left of when the internet was fun. So I just treat these reviews and posts as really long message forum posts that no one reads because my grammar and spelling are usually so bad. Spider-Man for the few people living under a rock was created in 1962 by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko for Marvel Comics. He got bit by a radioactive spider and his uncle died due to his negligence which made him become a superhero and punch jerks in the face.

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends was the third Spider-Man related cartoon. It came out in 1981 alongside Spider-Man. It shares a lot of the same animation and I guess Marvel was really all in on Spidey in 1981. I've only seen a few episodes of this show because for whatever reason YTV never showed it when I was a kid. You'd think they'd get Spider-Man and Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and show them both. I think it would add up to about 50 episodes. That's not far from what the 1967 show had and they showed the hell out of that. I'm really sad that I missed out on these shows as a kid because man I would have eaten them up and asked for more. I loved the 1994 Spider-Man cartoon and the 1967 Spider-Man and these would have worked so well with them. Alas they had to put on some Canadian content that not a single person watched. 

I'm glad that I didn't go with my original idea of doing all four Spider-Man cartoons in a row because well you'll see when I discuss this episode. It would have been very hard to talk about them back to back. Anyway the Final Episode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends was called "Mission: Save the Guardstar" and was broadcast on our television screens November 5th, 1983. It starts with Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Iceman and Firestar (created just for this show and brought into the Marvel universe later on and became a New Warrior! AND an Avenger!) at a fireworks show. They realize that someone is trying to steal stuff from a building close by so they rush over there and find Lightwave, a character that only appeared in this episode and never again anywhere else. I don't know why they just don't put all new characters created for any cartoon or tv show into the comics but thats just me. They fight and Iceman lets Lightwave go away! Oh shit does Iceman know this girl!??!

Firestar and Spider-Man are found out by a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and he gets them to join in the search for Lightwave. He's not Jasper Sitwell or Dum Dum Dugan or Nick Fury or any S.H.I.E.L.D. agent because woah he turns out to be the bad guy of this episode. Yep, we don't get some obscure weirdo like The Wizard fighting Spider-Man. Nope we get a nondescript boring S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.  He says shes after the Quantum Adapter which could take over the Guardstar satellite. We then turn to another scene of Iceman thinking about stuff on a big old icy cool mountain. This was a neat scene. I liked it. We then go to another scene where a Lightwave is being brainwashed. Yep that's why I'm glad I went with Secret World of Alex Mack was because THIS IS THE SAME DAMN STORY AS THE LAST EPISODE OF SPIDER-MAN

They fight again and Iceman lets her go and THEN finally admits they are related. She's his half sister. Iceman then gets brought to BUZZ MASON'S EVIL LAIR. See, he's even got a stupid name. Iceman then pretends to be taken over by BUZZ MASON. They all get trapped in his lair. Oh this has a really dumb scene where Buzz Mason is escaping from Spider-Man down a tube because Spider-Man had broken the mirror to the room he was in. He just ends up back up in that room out of nowhere when Spider-Man and Firestar and Iceman were all on the floor and could be electrocuted by Lightwave. Weird.

Anyway they get trapped in an adamantium prison which I thought was neat to be shown. That stuff actually predates Wolverine's inclusion to the Marvel Universe. Neat factoid huh? I think so. Anyway they pull out one of those incandescent lightbulbs and iceman connects it to the thing to the electrical lock. They then see BUZZ MASON get into a fucking rocket and fly off. Of course they jump on. They freeze the outside of the rocket and Firestar burns a hole in. Then welds it open. So BUZZ MASON is trying to get close to the Guardsman Satellite so he can send Lightwave out there to take it over. BUZZ MASON gets the best of Iceman and shoots him out into space. Spider-Man then starts yelling about how Iceman loves her and this breaks Lightwave's brainwashing she saves him in the nick of time and BUZZ MASON has to go to prison and become Bubba's love slave. Oh and Iceman goes "It wasn't my doing. It was my sister who finally came home!" Blah.

FINAL VERDICT: I was not enjoying this episode for the most part. I liked some of the trippy visiuals it has for whatever reason. I also did like the random rocket out of nowhere last third but for the most part the episode with Medusa with the SAME PLOT is much more fun to watch. Anyway I don't think I will be discussing Spider-Man 1994 any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...