Monday, March 1, 2021

Movie Review #12: Warlock: Armageddon (1993)

 


Well since Warlock (1989) was the first Re-Watch-A-Thon  movie I decided what better way to follow it up then discussing the sequel Warlock: The Armageddon and I figured why not, I remember enjoying this follow up to Warlock (1989) which I must have ran out and rented the following weekend, which is what I would do when I found out a movie I liked had a sequel. I liked being able to watch the entire series as close together as possible. I don't remember if I rented it from Jumbo Video but I'm going to say I did because well I want to complain about those stupid rental cases again. You had to hold the fuckers in the right place to get the movie to come out. It wasn't like anyone was going to steal the damn movie because it was in behind where the clerks were so why not use a better damn rental case!! I am clearly mad about the important things in life.

Anyway Warlock: The Armageddon comes from director Anthony Hickox (who did Waxwork and Waxwork II: Lost in Time, which I loved way back when... and Sundown the Vampire in Retreat which for some reason I've never seen) and he does a stellar job with this movie. Julian Sands is back (which is something the third movie forgets to do!) and he's still as fun to watch as ever. I would have watched a thousand Warlock movies with that man in the title role! The other main characters are honestly a pretty likable couple of teenagers who find out they are Druid warriors (one of the teens is a comics fan and even has a Tintin shirt! Now that's cool!) and I should have realized this movie was related the Waxwork because Zach Galligan makes a small cameo role! and so does George 'Buck' Flower!

The plot is kinda similar to the first one, in which the Warlock is searching for something that will help him bring Satan into the limelight. The likable teens find out that their parents are Druids tasked with stopping Satan and that THEY are Druid warriors with magic powers! The plots good enough to get us sucked in. The acting by most everyone is honestly pretty good but the standout is as mentioned Mr. Julian Sands who I wish would return to making horror films, or at least films I'm interested in watching. The effects in this movie are pretty damn amazing, I mean at least the practical ones. the maybe CGI effects (I dunno) are laughably terrible and horribly dated but the practical ones make you go "DAMN THATS FUCKIN COOL" and every horror fan enjoys doing that!

Final Verdict: I would definitely recommend this movie to fans of fantasy horror or horror in general. Hell even if you don't enjoy horror movies you might enjoy this one. Julian Sands is a badass and I would give him a hug if I could.

Up Next: I'm not doing Warlock: The End of Innocence because well this is a fun little project to rewatch movies I remember enjoying or even ones I think I could have enjoyed more or whatever. Life is too short to watch a movie as terribly bland and unenjoyable as Warlock: The End of Innocence ONCE, let alone twice. So up next is the start of a series of movies that only my sister and I care about. She's a high school student by day! Hollywood Hooker by night! That's right Angel (1984) is our next movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...