Friday, March 12, 2021

Comic Review #16: Jonathan Hickman's X-Men is cool and good.

 


Yes, That's right I'm breaking the cardinal rule of comic book fans. Which is to praise something new over something old, but people who get angry over new stuff are silly. I used to be like that but I'll save my entire story of how I became a non-shitty comic book fan for when I review something else. I'll just say that Facebook helped. Joining groups of people who seemed to jump over each other to go NO MARVEL COMICS STOPPED BEING GOOD IN 1991, NO WAY DICKHEAD IT WAS 1984. FUCK YOU IT WAS 1977. HA YOU LOSERS I STOPPED BUYING MARVEL COMICS IN 1961 WHEN THEY STOPPED MAKING MONSTER COMICS! What I'm saying is these people annoy me now. I don't like them. I don't like that I was like that. There are cool and good comic books from any and every era.

I like the ideas that people are playing with in the Jonathan Hickman run. The fact that they can be resurrected brings up so many questions which I think Leah Williams on X-Factor is doing a terrific job of discussing. I like the weird mystical adventures of Excalibur. I enjoy that Kitty Pryde finally gets to come out as bisexual (and even Chris Claremont wanted this, but to be fair I think he wanted every mutant to be bisexual.) and it's fun to see her be a badass pirate in Marauders. I think the Wolverine comic is really neat. I just think the Krakoa era of X-Men has a lot of cool shit coming down the road. I Also enjoy a lot of character moments that these books seem to offer. One thing I will say positive about 1990s X-Men is that I liked the Gambit and Rouge romance that they had going until they did that shitty thing where Gambit helped the Marauders (the original Mr. Sinister gang) kill the Morlocks in Mutant Massacre. I don't like that retcon (did you know theres some goofy dude on twitter whos apart of comicsgate whos angry at EVERY retcon. It's hilarious honestly)

I also enjoy the New Mutants because I love that gang of rascals. Cannonball and Sunspot are the best bros. Hellions may be my favorite because it's a group of mostly jerks and weirdos (like fucking Nanny. Who the hell decided to bring back NANNY). There was even a pretty great Fantastic Four/X-men crossover that Dan Slott decided to poop on by afterwards making it so that Franklin was never a mutant. That's another dumb retcon but that's because Dan Slott is at best an OK writer. The only book I didn't like was Fallen Angels which was just weird to bring that title back. I also like Teenage Cable way more than grumpy old man Cable and hope they never bring him back to that.

This might not be the most indepth review of these comics but I'm sure I'll end up doing that sooner or later. I just felt like doing a little overall discussion of Johnny Boy's X-Men era.

1 comment:

  1. Although I haven't read this new X-Men jobber, I can appreciate what they did with it. I also like Professor X as HELMET MAN. I also like Apocalypse as a good guy for once - it was kind of irrational that he was just like 'lol Im the BEST mutant so fuck all ya'll".

    I could see the Kitty Pryde as bi thing creeping in, in early Excalibur. She always had a silent thing for Rachel Summers. No thought bubbles but they were always implied to be more than friends/not lovers if that makes any sense. And then Days of Future Past Kate Pryde and Rachel were DEFINITELY in love.

    Teenage Cable is dumb. He was teenage during the future/Askani timeline. Only good Cable is weathered/seen some shit Cable. Also, Franklin not a mutant is a horrible retcon. They either need him not to be at all or commit. Dumb. That Gambit retcon was also pretty awful, but at least the issues leading up to the reveal were better than they were.

    ReplyDelete

Comic Review #83: Maximum Carnage (1993)

  I talked about this comic series in the last Final Episode post about Monster By Mistake. I mentioned how I talked about this series for o...